I am finally in...!!! My First Triathlon...!!!


I am not an endurance athlete nor used to any other endurance activities. I am just an ordinary mom of two teenagers working full time as an Orthodontic Therapist in Orthodontic clinics in London.

I was not very active since having children. Having 2 girls with just 18 months apart kept me busy already. Since back to work full time, my life became more and more hectic. I had to see many patients in a day. The stress level is high and this when I decided I had to change my lifestyle to keep me going.

I started to look around for gym membership and fell in love with indoor cycling class. The dynamic of the class boosting my energy to keep going and gain more confidence to do something more. I was then started to run in March 2017. Not a speedy one though but I am happy to say that I am a runner now. I used to hate running but then fell in love so quick with it. I started with just C25K then had my first 10k less than 2 months after that and my 1st Half Marathon less than a year I started running.








Things went down the hill when I had my shin splint after my first Half Marathon. My doctor asked me to reduce my running routine and reduce my pace to recover and switched to cycling or swimming. I was so upset as this came when I already hooked with my running routine. I bought my first road bike in 2018 and started to switch my running days to cycle to work and a bit of swimming.




This is when the new idea of another challenge came up! I wanted to try Triathlon! However the idea of open water swimming scared me off all the time. I can swim but only able to swim comfortably with breaststroke. I used to be super active in scuba-diving club back in my uni days but that’s it! I never had proper swimming lesson. My parents taught me to swim so I am not confidence if my technique is correct. 









The idea of swimming with front crawl in Triathlon and not many women did it had put me off to try. I signed up with my first London Duathlon in 2018 instead and I loved it. It was fantastic experience and very addicted. I signed up for the 2019 same event just after I finished my race.  




                                   



Something that used to bother my mind suddenly appeared again. I read an advert about HerSpirit looked for some women to do her first Triathlon. They will do some coaching and provided mostly everything. I love this idea as I thought these are all women and they would be doing their first Triathlon same as me. Well then I just applied without second thought. I thought this would attract many women so not really sure I would get in but weeks later I received this surprising email that I got chosen. So here it is my journey of my first Triathlon training. I will do 8 weeks training and will share my progress biweekly.




Comments